Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Well we are home from a wonderful and very emotional night fund raising for muscular dystrophy with about 1000 other people. On my poker table was Home and Away star Leah Patterson-Baker played by Ada Nicodemou. Ada was a lovely, vivacious young woman who was a lot more attractive in real life than on television. As I do not watch the show I had no idea who she was initially. However, after a number of people came to our table and asked if she would mind having her photo taken with them, curiousity got the better of me and I turned to her and said "I really should know who you are....shouldn't I" lol and she laughed and said that she was in television. I then asked what show and she said that she played Leah Patterson in Home and Away and I replied "well I have at least heard of that show even if I haven't watched it" lol. She burst out into laughter and was delighted to sit next to someone who wasn't going to ask her about the show all night lol.
During the course of the evening we were told a story of a new drug which is being trialed for four years now. As the muscles degenerate in these boys the drug slows down the replacement of the muscle with scar tissue and so they can keep walking and undertaking many tasks. Many of the boys are still walking at age 12, which is remarkable. Ben was no longer able to walk by age 6. It turns out that this drug was developed about 12 months after he died. Although it is too late for Master B and most of the boys who were diagnosed when or before he was, I was relieved for the boys and their families that have been diagnosed since. As for the poker game lol, I won two hands and I wasn't even sure how I had won it lol. As people lost their poker chips the tables were condenced down until it shrunk from 70 tables to 30 tables. By that stage I was out. Mr J played on for another half hour or so until he was out as well. We had a great time, it was a lot of fun and we met some interesting people too. In all I think they raised about $150,000.00.
Thank you Mr A for taking Dad and I to this evening, in all, I would call it a grand success!

No comments:

Post a Comment