Tuesday, December 30, 2008

And on the eighth day God created ......pedicures!

For a few years now I have been going regularly to have a pedicure. I am rough on my feet, I do terrible things such as forgetting to rub cream on them or rub them back with one of those file assessories, etc. I am standing on them for most of the day and when I am not at work I usually wear sandals or bare feet; nothing good for the foot at all. It's my mother's fault, she told me as a child, that my feet were for standing on and not to colour my toe nails in with texta....so there. Anyway, as I got older I began to find cracks on my heels. Now if any of you have ever experienced cracked heels you will know just how painful they can be. One time while away at Surfers Paradise I spent the entire time hobbling so as my cracked heels didn't crack any more than they already had. That same weekend I discovered heel balm which was a godsend. I digress.
A colleague suggested to me that I should have a pedicure to see if that helped so off I went to visit the local beautician. Ohhhhhhh bliss!!!!!!!!!!! Let me tell you that a pedicure is absolute bliss. It is now on my top five favourite things to do no matter how busy one is. Firstly, the electronic lounges are an experience in themselves. You lay back as the lounge pulses in all sorts of directions while your feet soak in warm water. Then a woman (more professionally known as a nail technician) comes along to massage each foot with "secret" oils to soften and relax your limbs, this takes about 20 minutes.....more bliss. In fact. I don't even want to know what the secret oils are....just keep massaging dear lady! Foot terminology is important after this and it doesn't take long to learn. Whilst the technician massages she asks "acrylic or real?" Acrylic nails are artificial nails. Some of you probably have acrylic fingernails even. I once tried acrylic nails and I couldn't imagine having them on one's toes, can't even say that I know of anyone who does have them on their toes lol. But obviously some women do or the technician wouldn't be asking. Next she rubs back the dead skin and commences to massage the new skin....even more bliss. Ahhhhhh I am floating by now (if that's possible). She then trims my nails with the precision of an artist, buffs the remaining nails and then applies cuticle stuff. Now I have never been able to figure out why they use this; whether it is like manure and makes your nails and skin grow or whether it is like cortisone and retards the growth. Either way it is even further bliss as she rubs in the cuticle cream with soft delicate strokes. It's enough to put you to sleep. In fact, the only thing that keeps me awake is my fear of snoring in public.
After the rubbing is finished she says"dunk now". The technician motions to a bowl of clean warm water that sits to the side of my lounge and I respond by immersing my feet in it to wash off the excess oil she has rubbed into my cuticles. Now we are up to the colour selection stage as she asks "couleur?" Thats colour in english lol. Of course I learned early in the process to select my colour ahead of time because everyone (except me) is in a big hurry. I am never in a hurry once someone has started massaging my feet. The nail technician is in a hurry, the waiting customer is in a hurry and the woman taking more appointments is in a hurry but never me lol. I digress again. The selection of polishes makes the women's cosmetic's counter at Myers pall in significance lol however I have my usual one or two favourites. On one particular day I sat and watched a woman in the next lounge having stickers added to her nails before the clear polish was applied;talk about lashy lol. I have never fancied trying those. Today the lady next to me was having what was called "french nails" which looked natural with white tips. For myself its just plain old polish so the manicurist deftly applies several coats and beckons me to move my foot over closer to the small fan. She then paints the other foot and announces "beautiful work" which is foot terminology for "I have finished and you need to compliment me on my work and pay up" so naturally I reply "thank you they feel great". She then gestures to move to another area where you sit with your feet under some low lying lamps to help speed up the drying process. Naurally this area is no where near as comfortable...they wouldn't want you to go back to sleep now you have paid lol. Well my bliss indulgence has come to an end but rest assured that I shall return. If there were shares available in such companies I would gladly be a share holder and Ms K assures me that by 2020 I will have my own personalised foot lounge here.....one can only hope. The photos above were all taken in my backyard. This kookaburra is one of several that visit us in the hope of a free feed and many compliments on how beautiful they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment