Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The best fertilizer is a gardener's shadow,,,,,,

Since moving home I spend as much time as I can out in the garden. I find it an enormous pleasure to g6 out amongst the plants, its good exercise and I love the final results. I really like to garden because I take pleasure in seeing things grow. It is wonderfully rewarding to see a part of nature budding and thriving because of our efforts to dig in the soil, remove weeds, sprinkle some water. A small seedling begins as exactly that, a small weak shoot stretching up towards to the sunlight, looking around for a much wanted drink of water. There are so many barriers to stop it from developing into a shrub; extreme wind, excessive heat which will burn it back, frost, domestic animals and local wildlife which will tread all over it and insects and pests. I often marvel that many seedlings eventually grow into the beautiful flowers or fruits that they become.
The older established trees here at home are all Australian natives. They attract kookaburrasm cookatoos, parrots and an array of Australian birds, provide us with shade during the hotter months of summer, are drought resistant and are maintenance free. The back garden is very small and filled with agapanthas, you may recognize them as tall blue, mauve and white flowers and I have a few Kangaroo Paws growing along the back fence. As autumn begins each year I plant seedlings to restock the garden’s colour as the deciduous shrubs and trees loose their flowers and leaves. Winter is such a dominant and suppressive season that my garden becomes dull and dreary, often it almost looks lifeless. Leaves begin to drop just enough to make the grass, paths and gardens messy and yet not enough to allow some sunlight into the yard during the cold months. The perennials, the trees and even my lawn look tired and old at that stage. I find that annuals add colour and beauty to the graying garden, the splash of bright colour makes it cheery and a pleasure to be out in, regardless of the cold windy weather. This year I planted pansies, marigolds, , petunias, verbenias and zinnias. All provide a massive display of colour and love only a little sun. The colours available seem limitless. I will add that the weeding can get boring but over the time I have learned to pull them up as I see them growing rather than weeding it all at the one time.
Gardening is also a great form of exercise and a big stress reliever. Never mind that I often get dirty by it lol that’s ok because the rewards will be plentiful several months down the track and it is not just flowers that can be rewarding. In years past, pre-remote working, I have grown vegetables and a few fruit trees. I remember at one stage, Mr J and I grew cucumbers, squash, tomatoes and spinach and much more. My mother once gave me a lemon tree which did well for many years too. I think it is satisfying when one can eat from your own garden rather than buying it at the supermarket, especially after our accumulated efforts. Of course, this current back yard is too small for vege gardens but I grow my own herbs in pots; parsley, lemon grass, chillies, thyme and garlic. I absolutely love going outside to cut stuff for cooking, it simply doesn’t get any fresher than that.
I also have a pot of lavendar growing. There is not a lot that you can do with lavendar but I love the smell of it so every now and then I cut it back and let it dry enough to crush into a bowl and leave around the house. It has a gentle scent about it. I once read that lavendar is great for relation, soothing tired muscles and aids in a good night’s sleep. Now I am not sure if this is factual or not but I can testify that it makes the house smell fresh and welcoming.
By now you can guess that Spring is my favourite season of the year. I can feel the beginnings of spring actually occur; they lure me out of my winter doldrums with the smell of fresh soil, the budding sprouts on the trees and the new shoots on the shrubs. Spring and the birth of new growth offers a promise of what the garden will bring, especially with a little help from us gardeners. Indeed, my mother use to say that she could smell spring in the air and she was quite correct too. With trowel in hand and a wheelbarrow I am happy to head outdoors for a day of digging in the dirt. Of course I wake up Monday mornings after the stiffness has set in to my joints and long forgotten muscles, to remember that I am not as fit as I should be lol. Aside from the pleasure in seeing my plants grow vigorously, especially with new blooms, such an outdoor activity leaves me feeling energetic and contented. In our home, there is no distinction between the house and the garden because both are a sanctuary. In the warmer months we eat outdoors, read, relax and talk outdoors and fortunately gardening is a work in progress which will never finish. I can not wait for Springtime to return…..and it has only just left us lol

No comments:

Post a Comment