Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tai Cha 2008.....

Each Sunday morning I pass a park near home where a large group of people (all ages, sizes and nationalities) meet to practice Tai Chi. They say that Tai Chi is very relaxing but I must say that it can be equally relaxing simply watching them perform their movements, as Tai Chi has a peaceful appearance about it. The movements are marshal arts defence movements performe in gentle slow motion. In fact, I am told that because it is such a gentle practice people of all ages and physical conditions can participate in it. Some days one will pass them and they seem to be creating shapes with their hands using slow movements. Other days they seem to be meditating. In any case I always associated it with elderly people but realized after watching them for a while that many were actually my age.
Now during the week I was reading an article about "How Stuff Works; the benefits of Tai Chi" and discovered some extensive studies done in America that found Tai Chi to significantly improve the immune system and general health of the community. A group of people suffering from shingles, were introduced to Tai Chi; half practiced it for 25 weeks and the other half didn't.
"The study showed that the Tai Chi group's rate of increase to immunity during the 25-week study was double that of the control group (the group that did not practice Tai Chi). In addition to the improved immunity, those in the Tai Chi group also reported significant improvements in physical functioning, bodily pain, vitality and mental health. "
Now while I don't have shingles I did find a few other ailments it can help. It is supposed to be especially good for people with bad posture (guilty), bad eatting habits (guilty), people who don't get enough sleep (guilty), people who have suffered from stress (guilty), difficult/busy working conditions (guilty), poor digestive systems (guilty), bad flexibility, high blood pressure and need better overall health (sounds like me). In fact after reading the article, I fitted so many of the categories that I felt like I should have been taken down to the back paddock and shot lol.
OK so I logged onto the Internet to find out where one learns Tai Chi (I don't want to have to get out of bed too early on Sunday mornings you see) and was amazed at the places, schools and groups available to practice Tai Chi. They are everywhere and some groups have designed instructional techniques for beginners, intermediate and advanced, etc. A lot of it depends on what you want to improve as well, for example, if you want to promote balance control, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness you can do just that. Some groups mainly concentrate on calmness, relaxation and stress control, I liked that idea as well.Others cover everything, which is what I need to do. It is hard to imagine how I have made it half way through life without Tai Chi lol.
Anyway, I found a group that is starting up in October, which is good timing with the finish our my writing club and the weather should be a little warmer by then too. So, very excited with my information I raced off to meet Mr J out at the construction site, only to find him explaining a design problem to a builder. You had to be there to see just how funny it was. There was I waiting for Mr J to tell him how Tai Chi is going to change our lives and there is Mr J........unable to describe the shape of some roofing he wants altered so he gently lifts his arms up into the air above his head and sloooowly moves them in spiralling motions and then gently, very gently, brings them down to rejoin once again, his fingers flurrying in the air (like a drowning albatross). He looked like he was performing a construction version of Tai Chi.
Some things are just meant to be aren't they lol

Have a good afternoon everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment