Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Beginning at the beginning....


I have had the most fascinating time during 2008. I have began to write about my grandmother (mother's mother). What a fascinating woman, so many things I never knew about her arose during my research. Anyway, one afternoon I was logged onto the births, deaths and marriages site collecting dates of the various family members and then I talked to a woman at the Australian Nurses College about nursing life at the beginning of last century. Goodness, between that, the Great depression and the two world wars I have come to know so much about her. What an amazing woman with strength and drive living in an era when women had few rights or say-so over their own lives. Surfice to say, that as soon as I finish the story I will happily share the story with you lol. I have a lot of gaps to fill in and unfortunately, not that many elderly relatives left to ask questions of. However, many of the churchs and religious groups that she was associated with are sending me what information that they have on her, as are the hospital archives from the hospitals where she worked. I am surprized at how exciting all of this is. The most difficult task is to begin at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment