Monday, February 9, 2009

Tidal Changes....














Mr J and I went for a swim after work yesterday. The sea was calm, a few gentle waves around the shoreline and because the waters here are crystal clear one can see right to the bottom. I became enthralled with the numbers of small hermit crabs that dotted the floor of the bay; hundreds of them. I am not sure what brings them out at that particular time however, their shells were all sorts of colours, shapes and sizes. They seemed happy enough to climb back into their shells each time that I picked one up to have a look lol. The beach was deserted except for Mr J and myself and so we stayed, walked along the shores in search of seashells and had a final swim before walking home at 7:30pm.Now today was totally different. The gusty breeze sprayed the dry white sands around the place. Even down close to the water I was whipped several times by the sand. I walked about one km down the beach and as I returned I could see the swirls of white sand in the distance, a mini sand storm of sorts. Surfice to say that my beach towel was covered with it when I picked it up. What amazed me was the waterline of the shore; it was covered in millions of tiny seashells. Even down in the shallow waters were many seashells too. I have no idea why there were so many today however, it is incredible how much the water and winds can change from one day to the next; perhaps it has something to do with the currents, the winds and the moon. Normally the sand is podwery white and soft to walk on however, today it was much corser and greyish in colour. I bet by the time I return in the morning the shoreline will be cleaned up by the overnight tides. Seeing the day to day differences is like watching the changes in the seasons, except that this is on a daily basis. I often wonder how long one has to live here before we begin to take such beauty for granted; if one misses it today there will always be tomorrow....that sort of attiture. I couldn't imagine ever getting sick or tired of walking here, these beautiful white sandy beaches, the sapphire, turquoise sea, the bay's waters lapping gently on the sands, the sailing boats docking the water's edges. Late this evening there was no cloud cover and the sun formed a huge orange fireball which usually means that tomorrow is going to be a warm day. I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment