Friday, February 27, 2009

Give me a home among the gum trees...


...There's a Safeways up the corner
And a Woolies down the street
And a brand new place they've opened up
Where they regulate the heat
But I'd trade them all tomorrow
For a little bush retreat
Where the kookaburras call

Give me a home among the gumtrees
With lots of plum trees
A sheep or two, a k-kangaroo
A clothesline out the back
Verandah out the front
And an old rocking chair
























On my way to and from work I drive through the Jervis Bay National Park. It is actually an enormous national park of some 4,211 hectares and from the road (as I am racing to and from work lol) it simply looks like a lot of gum trees. Well, this afternoon as I was driving home I noticed a lot of white flowers everywhere.











How odd I thought. It was amazing to see so many and I wondered what tree they belonged to. Could you believe that they were attached to gumtrees. I was gobsmacked.












I never knew that gumtrees flowered. I knew that they had gumnuts but I never realized that they had flowers as such. So I eventually pulled over to the side of the road, got my trusty camera out of the boot and went for a stroll throught the bushes. It was an amazing walk and I learned a lot very quickly.

















The flowers changed colour further in and some were cream, some red and some looked a very pretty pink colour.













Because they were so high up in the trees it was hard to initially look close at them however, patience and a further walk lead me to some lower lying flowers.











Up close they actually look as though there are no petals. They look more like a group of showy stamens.












The older flowers towards to the tops of the trees look as though the stamens have split away from the base which is the shape of a cup.











I can not wait for Autumn and Springtime down here now. Can you imagine what else I am going to find on a simple walk throught the national parks.

1 comment:

  1. Give me a home among the gum trees as well. Great pics, look forward to more

    Richard

    ReplyDelete