Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Revitalizing My Day......






It is night time here right now. From my window I can hear the waves on the beach clearly. The ocean here is constantly changing, it’s waves rolling in on the sand in such a gentle fashion. They sound calculated and regular as sleep even though they are strong as they pound and move smoothly over the sand. The sound of the waves has it’s own distinctive character; I wonder what it would be like without the sounds of the crashing water…..very quiet indeed.




I arrived home from work today exhausted. The fatigue seeped through my body, shoulders heavy, back tired and brain mentally drained. Mr J and I sat and shared dinner then he went out to play chess. Prior to his leaving we watched in horror yet again at the bushfire disasters that had taken place in Victoria. 181 dead, over 1000 homes burned to the ground, people hospitalized and homeless. This is day five of the fire horrors and the news is constantly depressing; so much destruction, so much grief.
On impulse I picked up my camera and headed across to the beach. I knew a beach walk would revitalize me.





There was a coolish breeze that was fresh and the further down the beach that I walked the more energized I became. I could smell the salty air which added some pace to my stride. There is something extraordinarily refreshing about a brisk walk on the beach. During the working week here at Callala most people have returned to Sydney so the beaches are relatively deserted. There were three other people about, one was a man on a small motorless cart being pulled along by a large kite that was caught in the breeze. It pulled him along on the wet sand at a fast pace; he looked excited and alert. I snapped several pictures to which he smiled and gave the "thumbs up" sign.




I then walked along futher watching the clouds moving across the sun. Their colours reflected over the water changing the appreaance of the entire area as the waves crashed against the shore. The tide was definately coming in. It creepd in further and further as I walked down the beach.




At a guess I think it is high tide out there right at this moment and possibly a king tide as well. The sounds of the incoming waves are clear and loud as I type. Watching and listening to the ocean is relaxing. It is a little like breathing; regular, soothing and tranquil.




When the children were babies I marveled at how natural their breathing was, it simply happened without any effort, it was continuous without any work and it maintained life. The ocean's waves are similar in nature. They waves happen without any effort from us, they continue without any work and it maintains life under the water at the very same time.




I spent an hour and a half taking photos but they do not do justice to the shear beauty and energy of the moment. At times such as now one can hear and feel that energy in the air, I could not imagine ever leaving here even though I eventually will have to.
Have a good evening everyone















No comments:

Post a Comment