Thursday, January 1, 2009

Saving the budget from extinction......

Molong NSW, a very historical township 2007

This week my electricity bill arrived in the post. Naturally I open such a bill with caution as over this past eighteen months it has crept up higher and higher. Upon opening this particular statement I felt myself go weak at the knees. NEVER has it been as high as this one. After I sat reading the schedule of charges I decided to set out a plan of action. The plan of action will not only reduce the swelling electricity bill but it will teach the members of this household some good life lessons in budgeting time and helping the environment.
Firstly, there will be no more warm water washing in the washing machine. Hot water is the biggest user of electricity in any household that does not have gas. As an extreme measure I have broken the knob on the washing machine so as it cannot be moved off the cold water setting. If one cannot wash in cold water then they have to use the local laundry matt. Already there are cries of my “suppressing” their childhoods....tell someone who doesn’t have to pay the electricity bill.

Secondly, all light fittings have been replaced with those compact fluorescent squiggly power saving light bulbs. In areas (such as the garage) where I do not use lights I have completely removed the bulb. Now given that only the males of the household use the garage I have no concerns as I already know that they are too lazy to replace a missing light bulb.
Next, I have set upon reducing the timing of showers for each of the family members. The "Worst Offender Award" is equally shared by both the daughter and the son. “He” gets into the shower and forgets to get out. “She” gets into the shower and has a facial, a full body mud mask and a 15 minute protein treatment for her hair (naturally she denies all of this).

Now the over use of hot water is not only expensive but it is unhealthy for the environment and given that the term “bad for the planet” is the “in” saying at present I have no qualms about using that school of thought to support my argument. Hence, spending too long in the shower will result in my swiching-on the hot water tap downstairs in the kitchen (hehehe). In all my years of parenting I have never had such an immediate response as when the hot water tap is turned on in another room when someone is in the shower. Squeals of freezing shock and chilly horror reverberate throughout the household, followed by a stream of verbal outrage (and chattering teeth). Yesterday once my son reached the 8 minute mark I switched on the hot water in the kitchen leaving him with stone cold water in his bathroom. He let loose with some unsavory words (which I heard all the way downstairs I might add) in reply I switched on the cold water tap this time thus, sending a stream of hot water cascading out of his shower nozzle. There is nothing like shock-treatment to elicit an apology and a fast escape out of the shower recess. Oh yes, it gives a whole new meaning to the term “global warming”. He swears that his “global” was not only warmed but burnt and that future fatherhood is no longer an option now however, I assured him that providing he keeps to shorter showers his “global” will not be in danger in future, besides there is a temperature control valve. Both the son and daughter now claim child abuse, and insist that they have been emotionally scared for life. I offered to switch off the hot water permanently and they are now rethinking their accusations (wink).

Lastly, Mr J and I have turned off appliances at the power point that use a “stand by” facility for example, televisions, stereos, computers. Apparently this reduces electricity use and helps to also reduce our carbon footprint.
So I have only two months, three weeks to wait for the next electricity bill to arrive. I will open this one with an optimistic attitude and a positive approach knowing that I have been pro-active in doing my part. My children mean while, are fast learning about the positive aspects of using electricity within budget. Goodness, what we parents have to endure!

The photos were taken in Molong NSW. Molong is a very historical town and primarily rural. It was hit very badly by the drought.

No comments:

Post a Comment