Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oldern Day Heros, Modern Day Movies.......

The following photos are frm the "Still Life" class photo shoot October 2008
Like all those who were experiencing childhood and their teenage years back in the 60s 70s I have fond memories of favourite television shows that produced imaginary champions such as The Phamtom Agents, GI Joe, Thunderbirds, Rin Tin Tin, etc. Phantom Agents aired back in the early and mid 60's; the Phantom Agents were a ninja group using modern weapons, both chemical and mechanical, as well as traditional ninja ones. They were attached to the Espionage Depertment of Japan's International Police. I can remember my older brother and myself ninja kicking off the arms of the old lounge chairs after each show lol. We had plastic car track pieces stuffed down the back of our shirts that made great ninja swords. It’s a wonder we didn’t break a bone or two lol.
During the beginning of the next decade I remember my little brother loved transformers and GI Joe. Can you believe that GI Joe the movie is in production and set for a 2009 mid year release, (think I read that Dennis Quaid was in it but don't quote me). I do not know what to make of the modern movie market that resurrects these childhood idols and changes them into movies. I have wondered in years past whether we should be scared or excited…is this a chance to relive old times when life was a lot simpler or is this the end of a wonderful memory that will have been slaughtered by a cheesy shake down of a movie that will leave you wishing that you had just been happy with the ancient memory.
Spiderman, Iron Man, Thunderbirds, Batman, even Transformers all have been made into movies and merchandise. I must admit that I did enjoy all of the Batman movies, even though I was initally disappointed when Batman's costume had been changed.
I often wonder if children these days get to use their imaginations the way we use to. One of our friend's children has a Batman outfit that his Grandmother bought for him, cost $75.00 on special. It came complete with stockings, plastic Batman weapons and hood. I told him about the batman Batman costumes that we had had many many years ago; the cape crusader's cape was made from a bath towel and the bat belt was made from one of our Dad's belts with cardboard cutouts pinned on. I had a Catwoman outfit made from similar household items. My sister was always Batgirl and we made a big B from newspaper and pinned it to her towel (I mean cape lol) Now this young fellow could not make head nor tail of what I was talking about and eventually asked why we just didn’t ask Grandma for a Batman outfit from the shops. I tried to explain that not only did the shops not have them back then but that it was as much fun making our costumes as it was playing the characters. I sense Junior thinks I am is a tad eccentric lol.
Everything is so real nowadays, movies, even playsation games are so authentic in their presentation that it leaves very little for the imagination. it would appear "not good enough" if it has not been commercialized to the zenith. Moreover, to a certain extent it is a sad loss between the generations and whether this is the result of modern technology or not, I do not know. Maybe our childhoods really do seem boring compared to this current generation however our imaginations eventually led us to design computers, mobile phones, medicine and to allow man to walk on the moon. Those early years of imaginary heros, battles and knights in shining armours were a simple but wonderful era. I wonder if this generation will have enough imagination when their time comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment