Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Trout......

When I was in fouth grade our teacher Sister Fabian taught us a German Folk song called The Trout. It was just a simple song and I have come across it several times since then. The Trout was written by Franz Schubert in approx. 1750. When we went to high school I remember one of my music teachers instructing us the very same German folk song in German. It is amazing that I remember the first verse word perfect (in Germen) lol and again today I came across it in some text. When I calculated the time period it is 43 years since learning this in German and I can still remember it, eyt I cannot remember what I did yesterday lol lol.

In einem Bächlein helle,
Da schoß in froher Eil
Die [launige]1 Forelle
Vorüber wie ein Pfeil.
Ich stand an dem Gestade
Und sah in süßer Ruh
Des muntern [Fisches]2 Bade
Im klaren Bächlein zu.

Ein Fischer mit der Rute
Wohl an dem Ufer stand,
Und sah's mit kaltem Blute,
Wie sich das Fischlein wand.
So lang dem Wasser Helle,
So dacht ich, nicht gebricht,
So fängt er die Forelle
Mit seiner Angel nicht.


The bottom photo is of the four of us children, I was in fourth grade at the time

No comments:

Post a Comment