Thursday, March 3, 2011

Black Cockattos.......

In amongst the incredible diversity of wildlife here at Jervis Bay is one of my favourites…the Black Cockatoo. At present there have been a lot of yellow tailed black cockatoos around Booderee National Park. J and I can always hear them before we see them coming as their squeal is quite unique in contrast to a white cockatoo who shrieks. They are such a huge majestic bird with a large body. Its plumage is mostly black with body feathers edged in yellow. They appear out of nowhere calling to one another while looking for food. Because Cresswell is surrounded entirely by a national park there is plenty for them to feed on especially seeds and pinecones. The pinecones that J and I have watched them feeding from are almost completely black and have a burned-out look about them. It is fascinating to watch them fly as their wings appear to flap slowly as though they are weightless for such a huge bird. They must have been around here forever because when we are on route to Nowra we pass a sign that says the word Nowra means Black Cockatoo in Aboriginal dialects.
Now this afternoon J and I were at Vincentia shopping center when something caught my eye; at first I thought that it was a kite. It was in the shape of a hawke, with a wing span of approx. one meter wide and had striped feathers on its wings. I called to J and pointed to where the bird was when I realized that it was a real bird, flying low as though it were ready to swoop and pick up its prey. It did not flap its wings but rather glided on the wind as though it were a plane rather than a bird. I stood mesmerized for quite some time when it landed in a tree top and simply sat there. I could see its hooked beak and striped wing feathers, Nowwwww I have another favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment