Sunday, February 6, 2011






Two days after visiting Murray's Beach J and I headed off to explore Caves Beach, highly recommended to us by some of our customers at work. Caves Beach is a 400 meter walk from the parking area but the walk was well worth it. We walked down through acres of coastal tea trees In amongst the teaa trees we spotted so many birds that I was in awe of the area, some crimsom rosellas,, parrots, kookaburras , wattle birds and currawongs. I stopped to read on a sign that the area protects several endangered species such as sea eagles and bristle birds. however, we did not see any but I had my trusty camera handy just in case.
The views are beautiful and we passed some mangroves and swamps along the way and before we knew it Caves Beach was right in front of me. It is a spectacular area with Jervis Bay's signature sugar white sand beach overlooked by the most amazing sandstone rockfaces. At the bottom of these cliffs are some curious caves that really lead to no where but while exploring them I could see freah water trickling down them.










The beach must be a haven for surfers as quite a lot of locals were either coming or going while we were there. The waves did not seem all that large however they remarked to me that most days one could catch a huge wave on Caves Beach. I thought that the surf was gorgeous huge or not.










We swam there for several hours when a man whistled me and pointed out about 30 meters behind where I was swimming and there swimming through the waves was a "black" shadow approx. 1.5 meters long.










It swam at leisure across the from point to point (the length of Caves Beach) and then turned and comme3nced swimming back again.






Of course I did not need to be told to swim in closer to the beach lol but most of the surfers headed back out as soon as the shark was out of range.






Once it turned and swam back they came in the then headed back out again. And so the afternoon continued lol. I am guessing that a shark would not go hungry with all of the fish there so it really was not hunting for a hunman feed.
Anyway, as usual before J and I knes it, it was time to head home.




We began the walk back to the car and disturbed a flock of yellow-tailed black cockatoos and some loorikeets who were busy shapening their beaks on a log alongside the walking path.
We did agree that Booderee National Park is a treasure trove of beautiful beaches and bays all kept lovely by those who use it and by the marine life there. Once again my beliefs that there are not enough marine parks along our coastline was reinforced.


The next morning over beakfast the boys told us about an area called summercloud Bay, so guess where we will be heading after working this week lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment