Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Cost of Driving.......












Occassionally I will hear or read a comment or an article that will inspire me to sit and begin typing at a fast and furious pace. Something just triggers a button and off I go, crazily moving the words that buzz around in my head, down onto the computer screen. Quite often my fingers can not keep up with process and today is one of those days.
I logged onto to read several forums last night and a simple question from someone made me chuckle and commence typing at a pace beyond finger-endurance lol. Her simple question….”Have you ever had to clean your own car ? If so how did you go about it?” She went on to explain.
It would seem that part of the modern lifestyle is to drive in to quality car wash each Saturday morning. There, for the price of $80.00 you will be treated to the most de-stressing Saturday morning experience that one could request….you may have your car cleaned.
Now don't go all blah blah on me before you read about this. I have actually been several times after driving back from western NSW covered in red dirt and it really is quite addictive, mind you if this woman were to shop around I am sure she could find a cheaper place than $80.00. I digress, as you drive in the driveway of the car salon you are met by a valet who will discuss your carwash needs and give you professional and courteous advice if your vehicle has a special need that week. Who knows…you may have driven through a dirty puddle or perhaps had an inconsiderate pigeon drive bombed overhead. In any case, the valet will explain that you can have this service performed cheaper elsewhere however, those “cheap” companies will not be using environmentally friendly products nor will they treat your little your Mazda like the porche that it wants to be treated like.



Anyway, after determining your requirements you hand your keys to him and go inside to choose your coffee. Espresso anyone? No thank you but I will have a Medium cinnamon Dolce Frappuccino light please. Now to find the Sydney Morning Herald, god I hope they are all not taken already. Nope here is one..thank goodness other wise I would have missed the latest. Now to find a comfortable lounge chair and goodness they are all taken so I will have to sit on a stool; well life wasn’t meant to be easy (Malcolm Frazer). If I read fast enough I should be able to check my emails in the Internet kiosk as well; Saturday mornings are frantic I tell you. While you sit there reading about how much the stocks have fallen over night you can also watch the boys cleaning your car. They clean the outside with precision care using soft sheepskin mitts, dry it lovingly with a chamois and then detail it right before your very eyes. At the same time some one on the inside is vacuuming the upholstery, cleaning the windows, painting the tyres black and stuffing smelly stuff in the unused ashtray. This is the ultimate car wash experience for your little vehicle lol. Approximately 30 minutes later you will be buzzed to come pick the little cherub up and go home.
What triggered my ramblings here was a question I read last night ….”Have you ever cleaned your own car out? If so how did you go about it?”. This was from someone who went on to say that she has never cleaned her car out (not that I can blame her). For this past three decades each Saturday morning she has undertaken the above process but due to the current financial climate she is looking to down grade her life style and is considering cleaning her car personally each Saturday morning. I commend pro-active people who take their destiny into their own hands. During the week I read about a man who will have to relinquish the services of his maid and was concerned as to how he would clean his 4 bedroom three bathroom two story harbour-side house which he lives in on his own. Then there was the businessman who had concerns about keeping his multi-million dollar yacht; he was worried about the repayments and insurance by his company during harsh times. He was going to do his little bit to help by selling it. Mind you the estimated yearly expenses would have employed half a dozen average folk..... full time.
One has to wonder how the genuine poor are fairing at times like these. I watched on television last Thursday in Brisbane when a local church handed out 50 tonnes of food to 6000 people. They say that poverty is a relative thing and that it should be measured relative to the local culture in which one exists. However, in a country like Australia the gap between those that have and those that do not have is ever-widening. I may even sound like a marxist here but we need to close the gap, even if only a little. Perhaps some good to come out of this current situation is that there may be pay cuts for the greedy corporate heads and a pay rise for pensioners and lower income groups. One can only hope.
Now, off to wash my car..........maybe






The above photos of the bee, were all taken in Callala Beach, March 2009. The little bee was sitting on the sand one day while I was browzing the beach. I wodered whether the wind had blown him down onto the sand. He spent his time trying to negiotiate the sand and made for a good model.

No comments:

Post a Comment