Thursday, November 25, 2010

Spur Me On............

Well my sore foot has finally caught up with me. Turning 50 brings the odd health problem including joints and bone issues. My issue is with my heel. You see, the tissue that forms the arch of my foot is called the plantar fascia.It is a ligiment that connects the tissue that runs from your heel bone down to the ball of the foot. Apparently its job is to transmit weight across the foot when a person walks or runs. With time this tissue can become worn out which is what happened to me. Over the years for various reasons ranging from a broken leg to a weakened ankle and gout this tissue became inflamed and irritated. Of course, standing constantly each day doesn't help and between the two I developed a calcaneus spur, which is the formation of a hook on the end of the heel bone and because the tissue is worn out there is nothing there to pad the pointed bone from sticking into the muscle and skin. So with all of this in mind I don't feel so bad complaining that my foot does indeed hurt. I am currently trying ice packs when the pain is extremely severe, anti-inflamatories which I really would prefer not to have to take each day, and complete rest. I am hoping that the orthapedic surgeon will have some better ideas when I go to see him. I am told that it takes between 3 months and 12 months to get any sort of permanent relief. Just goes to prove how vital decent impact shoes are. Have a good day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment