Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Kiwis......




There is a large contingent of Kiwis that have commenced work here recently, they are form workers and actually they corrected me when I used the word Kiwi and told me to replace it with the word Maori, so naturally, I did. These proud boys are huge, broad across the shoulders, very tall and possess skin the colour of golden brown. Even though as a group they all share the same characteristics I have little trouble telling them apart. Their appetites are amazing, huge would be an understatement lol and they have a wonderful sense of humour. On first meeting them one thinks…OMG I would hate to meet them in a dark alley however, stop and have a conversation with them and they are the gentlest men you would choose to meet.
I have found their accents to be fascinating. I actually had to listen carefully to what they were saying at first. Their language is a dialect that involves restructuring syntax so sentences all end in an upward tone as though asking a question. The sound “eh” is added to the end. For example one of the boys Justin remarked that he loved Sednay Hurbur and nut meny estrillians were there eh” It was disconcerting at first however once I realized that they were from Nu Zulland I was ok lol.
Now according to these guys working in Australia (or Estrilia as they pronounce it lol) is considered a wonderful way to get ahead in life. Apparently the cost of living is much higher in New Zealand hence they can save much more when working here. The foreman of the group has resided in Australia for some 30 years. Every now and then traces of his heritage can be detected in his speech; I especially noticed it when he ordered some cappuccinos. I asked him how many he would like and he replied that he wanted sex. I did a double take and thought I must have misunderstood him.
“I am sorry, how many did you say that you wanted?”
“I want sex” Now that could either be construed as down right rude or perhaps given that 25 Kiwis (excuse me I meant Maoris) work for him, he is obviously from Nu Zulund lol. So six it was lol.
The boys spent their afternoon tea break telling me about New Zealand. They are obviously very proud of the geographical features in their homeland and regaled me with stories of the mountains, the fishing and the hot pools. Sheep play a very important role in the local economy and not matter how wonderful we may think they are in Australia, one simply has to purchase some sheep skin products from over there. They love the prices of goods here in Aus. Apparently everything is much cheaper here and often Kiwis come to work in Australia and plan to return to NZ but find it difficult to leave. I calmly explained that many nationalities share that same problem to which they roared laughing. The boys did their trade certificates together and decided to travel on a working holiday together. The five frinds (friends) arrived here and have not looked back. They enjoyed the Rugby League Test Match on the weekend and look forward to the next one although, they thought it was terrible that NZ had lost.
This fascinating Rainbow Lorikeet is named Hoover, compliments of Meryn. He visits regularly and has a deformedclaw at the end of one leg. She nicnamed him Hoover because of the way he can clean up birdseed, he cleans it up better than a vacume cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment